[3830] CQWW CW KU2M SOSB/15 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 3 18:46:09 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

   15:  918    28      112

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Much better condx than the SSB test, but still made me long for days when
sunspots were more plentiful and there were no Coronal holes in the sun.

There was a nice flurry of life in the band on Saturday morning, but the
opening to Europe shut like a steel trap as soon as sunset hit in Europe, which
was before noontime here. Almost no JAs heard at all; I only heard/worked 3, and
it was very marginal, bent path due to the high absorption to the northern
paths. Forget about far west and northern Pacific, and almost all of Asia:
absolutely zippo heard here in NNJ. Anything from BY, KH2, DU etc. that is
usually heard/worked after sunset was completely absent, since when our
sunlight faded, the band died here as well. I quit a little after 4:30 PM on
Saturday, the earliest I ever have, because there was no point in staying on.
The band had gone comatose.

The northern path was also nil on the EU side as well; not one OH, LA, and only
one SM. Forget about OH0! Not even one GM, and UK stations that are usually loud
and plentiful were almost wholly MIA. I was thankful for the two Russian
"big gun" stations who called in; they are usually S9+ but were so
far down in the mud that it was a struggle to pull them out. Besides the two
Russians, if it weren't for our friends in the Ukraine, there would have been
no zone 16 at all.

Nevertheless some activity from the south Pacific made up for the disappointing
condx to Europe and Asia, like FO/K7AR who did a great job dealing with unruly
pileups, A31MM, 5W1SA, TX8F and others. KL0R was my last double mult, and at
first I couldn't tell who it was - all I could hear was "5991" and
the "K" at the beginning of his call, so I knew it was Alaska, but
his signal was so weak and fluttery I couldn't make out the rest. Very
frustrating when the Assisted crowd shows up, works him and leaves, and I'm
still sitting there trying to figure out who the heck it is! Finally I had the
bright idea to turn the antenna to the SW and that did the trick. almost 90
degrees away from where he should have been heard, he actually moved the S
meter and I could get his call.

Well, here's hoping there won't be any Coronal holes for ARRL DX!