[3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 15:52:21 EST 2016

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL K1EBY
Station: W1TJL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: FN32na

Total:  QSOs = 750  Sections = 71  Countries = 28  Total Score = 158,598

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Fun (but tiring) weekend!  Frank K1EBY and I decided to do a multi-single effort
to test the new 160 mtr antenna below.  It was fun but with tough conditions,
tiring!

As mentioned this was the first real test of a new 160 mtr vertical antenna
that we put up this summer.  It is a folded vertical radiator hung off a pulley
at the 90 ft point on my tower.  The antenna resonates at 1840 and is easy to
tune, fairly broadbanded  and the amps love it.  To keep it from being too
close to the tower it slopes away a bit towards Europe.  it has 2 full sized
elevated radials at about 8 ft.  They are broadside to Europe.  Thanks so much
for the help of W1ZR Joel Hallas (The Doctor) for his help in modeling and
designing it!

We found it worked pretty well!!  The antenna definitely favors Europe and has
a harder time to the west.  It seems to be about the same to the west as the
antenna it replaced (a double L).  If it had been easy to do it would have been
great to slope it to the west to see if the increase towards California was
noticeable.

Also this summer put up a 2 wire 600 ft reversible beverage (NE/SW).  But I
didn't get the reversing switch completed so I only had it towards Europe.
Great improvement in the NE direction but I really need to put in the reversing
circuitry before the CQ160 contests!  And next year a 2nd similar beverage
SE/NW.

Conditions were pretty tough but none tougher than to California/Alaka/Hawaii.
I could barely hear them and they seemed to be working 0s and 7s and not hearing
east of the Mississippi.  But Europe was strong and relatively easy.  We were
Multi-single and THANK GOD Frank was here as he was great relieving me of  many
hours of "honey do list chores", church functions, etc. that had to be
done this weekend.

So 750 Qs,  71 out of 83 possible ARRL sections (doesn't anyone live in NNY??)
:-) and 28 countries.

Fun and looking forward to the Stew Perry and the CQ 160 contests!

73, Tom W1TJL