[3830] ARRL 160 NK8Q SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 21:05:17 EST 2016

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NK8Q
Operator(s): NK8Q
Station: NK8Q

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: WPA

Total:  QSOs = 470  Sections = 53  Countries = 2  Total Score = 51,865

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

First time ever (I think) entering a contest in QRP class and deciding to go
with the Unlimited category.  Score was higher than last year.
This is the 6th ARRL 160m Contest that I can find records of entering.  All
have been QRP except for in 2014 when I entered as Multi-Op High Power with
Nick, N3NR using the W3YA Nittany ARC callsign from their clubhouse.  This is
the first time that I have entered the ARRL 160m Contest as Unlimited
(assisted) while QRP but I wanted to try something different.  Did better than
last year by about 100 QSOs (an increase of about 26%) although I ended up with
a few less Mults this year.  I would have expected to have more mults this year,
but it was not for lack of trying!  I heard them, but they didn't hear me.

In the mid-80s when I first ventured onto the 160m band with a 100W rig on SSB
somebody told me that you HAVE to run the full legal limit on that band.  I
found out that as a dedicated QRPer it can be fun and quite satisfying to see
what can be done with peanut power (by QRP I do not mean using a wet noodle for
an antenna and putzing around with making Q's, I mean with reasonable antennas
and operating with attitude!).  Don't get me wrong, it can be frustrating, but
I still prefer QRP.  Thanks to all those out there who spend time to pull out
my weak signal!  I did work at least three others who were running QRP and so I
know how difficult it can be!  There are truly some great antennas and operators
out there to pick up those little signals!