[3830] ARRL 160 N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 5 21:43:38 EST 2016

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

Total:  QSOs = 576  Sections = 68  Countries = 12  Total Score = 95,280

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I am always a bit burned out when the ARRL 160 rolls around; to boot, the XYL is
still having issues. My meager station performed well with propagation
noticeably
better than almost all recent years. Rig is FT-1000 to a half sloper at 83 ft
sloping west. My rate average was 113 Q's/hr and that includes quite a few
unanswered CQ's; it was not all continuous runs.

Friday night the band opened well to most of the Rockies/west coast early with
OR and WA a bit weak, but had several WA callers, a few Caribbean called in and
PR started calling CQ in my pass band, so that rare one was added. The QSO rate
was very good, lots of TX (most ever) and CO stations calling.

Saturday evening around 0015Z, I found a wide open spot not too high in the
band which worked very well. VE6 called who I could not work after sunrise, and
several EU called including SM, DG, UR, GW, and RW7, along with TI and ZF. They
were all easy copy. Activity from Ontario was incredible working 3-4 from the
Northern ON section in addition to the multitude from the other 3 sections.

Thanks for the QSO's and waiting a few QSO's at times. I hopefully will be on
for more time next year.

See you this weekend in the 10M contest and please say a prayer to the meteor
and sporadic E gods, because the F2 will probably be quite limited. There is
hope, I heard Es tonight into 4,9,0 areas.