[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 7 18:57:20 EST 2016

CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Dec 7

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN

Total:  33  Mults = 33  Total Score = 1,089

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

It was Cold in Hell.... errrr.... Rockford Michigan today.  (editorial aside, it
WAS only 1 ºC in Hell, Michigan - near Pinckney - when I set up in Rockford. :)
Temperature was barely 1ºC whe I set up along the North Country National Scenic
Trail, as a contestant in the CWops weekly CW mini Test (CWT), but also a
participant. by location, in the ARRL's National Parks On The Air.  I did
(almost) my usual strategy, namely, find a spot on 40 meters, call CQ CWT, and
never move.  I dunno if my one variation this time was more fruitful than if I
had stayed, but I listened to 20 meters, and found that there was some space,
i.e., sometimes I found people calling CQ CWT with no response.  So, for about
20 minutes I poked around 20 meters, but netted only 4 Q's.  Nil
"running" but I might have picked a spot which apeared to me quiet,
but others might have bee using it within my skip zoe.  I did work the West
Coast, Texas, and a W9 (didn't look him up.)

This wasn't anything about which to write in a letter home.  Worked out the 40
meter band before moving to 20, but 20 was sort of a bust too.  33 Q's, in 60
minutes ain't no barn-burner, that's for sure, but I plead as an accomplice
because of cold fingers which made typing on the computer a challenge.  I had
M5PHT written for N5PHT, which is one I remembered, and put VIC505 for K9UIY's
name.  I did fix these in real time and I thank these two folks for putting up
with slowness in returning to the exchange.

Some of my local comrades in arms question my sanity in going out on such a
windy, cold day.  To whom I respond, "Well, doesn't anyone who sits for an
amateur radio operator have to be somewhat mentally unbalanced?  I rest my
case."

p.s. If you ain't got a sense of humor, do you really belong it this madness?
:)  It's fun, fun, fun!