[3830] ARRL 10 N2CU SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 12 18:43:35 EST 2016

ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: NY

   CW:  298    50
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  298    50  Total Score = 59,600

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

You gotta love 10 meters! Never know what to expect. In spite of bad conditions,
some amazing signals were heard. I mostly ran in this contest due to limited
time available, mostly not in prime time either.

On Saturday I was calling CQ to a mostly dead band when at around 14:00 TX, AR,
LA and OK suddenly began booming in. Worked 34 of them in short order. The same
thing happened at 21:50 when IL stations became to go to state. 25 of them in
the log quickly. On Sunday I was calling CQ before 17:00 when I heard a very
strong station start CQing too close to my frequency. After a few CQs of my own
I moved slightly up and worked the station from AZ. Then I moved back down to my
frequency and called CQ again. The station asked me to PSE QSY, to which I
responded "WHY IVE BEEN HERE FOR 20 MINUTES". It was then I realized
we just had a spotlight opening to AZ. I moved a little bit away and called CQ
again. There was a 25 station run of monster signals from AZ. Toward the middle
of the run, FL started appearing. Put about 30 of them in the log. I was
beginning to think I wouldn't work anything West of the Rockies when my first
CA showed up, followed by 13 more.

After the contest I checked the RBN and found a report from W7AH (AZ) during
the "big" run; 82 dB! I don't think I've ever gotten a signal report
from any RBN that high.

Most worked state: FL 37
Contenders: IL 27, NY 26, AZ 25, TX 23
DX: CE, CX, KP2, KP4, LU, OA, P4, PY, XE, YV
Best 10 minute rate: 120/hr
Average rate: 66/hr

Hope to be on for the Stew this weekend, but my daughter is getting married,
so...

73, Tom N2CU