[3830] TBDC W9RE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 13:18:27 EST 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN

Total:  QSOs = 614  Total Score = 3,646

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Thanks to WD8DSB who again helped me find an annoying noise that bothered 160
mostly.  He came to my QTH last Thursday in 20 degree and windy weather.  The
temperature had dropped very sharply on that day and we had a hard time hearing
the electric fence noise because of all the sudden power line noise.  My power
provider actually came out this week to search for noise but most of it was
gone by that time and I was pretty worried that I would have the power line
noise again this weekend because weather predictions were a high of 40 degrees
F on Saturday and dropping fast Sunday morning but I had no power line noise at
all just the QRN from storms on Saturday night for several hours.

Activity seemed up a little bit since normally I've been in the 500 Q range.
It's too bad we here in the Midwest didn't have better DX propagation that we
have had during the last couple weeks on occasion. On my 2nd radio I heard a
lot of east coasters working a lot of Europe and I could hear some of the
Europeans but none called me until very, very late in the opening and I didn't
find many calling CQ.  So my over 10 pointers were only 20 with 2- KH6's.  I
heard K1LT work a VK6 who called him but as far as I know he never called me.
Best DX was a 16 pointer.

About the only station that could not hear me  was KS7T who I called many times
with no luck.  Several others I called with no luck but came back a while later
and was then heard.

Surprised to have a very mini run of 7 stations in 5 minutes around 7 A.M. and
thought things might really pick up but no.

I really love this contest because it is a great way to do SO2R if you have 2
transmit antennas and several rx antennas.  Running LP I was able to receive
while transmitting within about 1 KHz of my transmit signal.  I used an open
wire fed 80 meter dipole for my 2nd transmit antenna and it worked almost as
good as my 1/4 wave vertical with a radial field.

For the first time in this contest I used a pair of YCCC binomial rx arrays
combined for the NE/SW direction in one ear and my main 160 EFBS (8 directions)
in the other ear.

Thanks to Tree, Lew and the Boring Group for sponsoring this event.

  HOUR  160CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
   22      98      98      98
   23      90      90     188