[3830] RAC Winter VA2RAC(VA2EW) SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 14:16:00 EST 2016

RAC Winter Contest

Call: VA2RAC
Operator(s): VA2EW
Station: VA2EW

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Montreal(QC)

  160:  115     20       8         7
   80:  244     26       9         9
   40:  324     71      10         8
   20:  237    170       9         9
   15:   34     20       6         4
   10:    1      1       1         1
    6:    1      1       1         1
    2:    1      1       1         1
Total:  957    310      45        40  Total Score = 485,180

Club: Contest Group du Quebec

Comments:

As one week before the contest the VA2RAC callsign had not still find any taker,
I volunteered to put it on the air. After all it might be fun to have an
attractive callsign and give 20 pointers all around. Actually it was my first
ever entree in that contest which usually takes place during holidays when I
have too much family commitment to participate.

The station was still upside down after the CQWW CW M2, my  two wire 40m
dipoles in the trees are down  for the winter and my second yagi on the side of
the tower cannot beam to West of Canada because it is installed for the usual
big contests with Europe as mean direction. So few SO2R  this time.

Then I decided to take it cool just for the fun and fun I had...

Except the hart of night when by lake of participation I decided to stop for 6
hours, I was positively surprised by the good participation from everywhere
including Europe. As an exception,  I had great difficulties to get enough
answers to my CQ's on 40m/SSB, the 7075Khz frequency is full of  digital users
bringing me to question the opportunity to leave that frequency in the rules as
a suggested frequency and felt quite alone among the rag-chewers on 7225Khz.

An interesting thing too was the cross-contest participation starting in the
second half, we were exchanging reports with not only the Croatian contest
participants who were ''report compatible'' with us as they were sending a
serial number too  but more confusing it was with the Stew Perry guys on 160m
in need of a Grid report... I for example worked a missing multiplier who
participate to both RAC and Stew and expect that he will include our QSO in his
RAC log to avoid me a NIL.

Another particularity was the huge quantity of #001 reports when report I got,
perhaps because of the VE2RAC callsign. There were many European stations just
happy to work a VE with a good signal without any interest for the RAC contest
by itself. Perhaps the rules could suggest a 000 report rather than an imposed
001 as are doing some other contests in that situation.  That surely should
prevent some takers from a ''tempest in a brain'' when come the time to ask
them ''NR?" after they just answer 599 or 59.

Thanks to everyone who called me and Merry Christmas,

Gilles VA2EW