[3830] TBDC NA8V Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 17:11:14 EST 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 13:40

Total:  QSOs = 537  Total Score = 2,966

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

raw points = 1977, used 1.5x multiplier

Now *that* was fun!  By far my best result in the TBDC, both in raw QSOs and
points.  Never had any real rate but it was steady until the wee hours.  Worked
my first EU of 54 total at 2213z.  They were infrequent and sporadic until
nearly 05z when i started getting steady answers to my CQs.  It's really rare
when I can run Eu on 160 in a contest to any major effect.  Didn't work any z16
or z20 and only an OZ represented Scandinavia and the Baltics.  I had hoped
there would be more South American activity but only worked KP2 (4), KP4 (1),
P4 (1) and PJ2 (1) in that direction.  Was shut out to the Pacific, heard KH6LC
and one other KH6 calling people but they never called me and I couldn't track
them down CQing.  Highest point value was a modest 15 but there were quite a
few of those.  Such a treat to have good condx fall on a contest night.

The past couple years I've had a problem working 6's and 7's but this time
worked pretty much every one heard sooner or later and had many call me.  Took
off at 0830z with the plan to get back on at 10z and pick up my last 3 hrs.
Dozed off watching a terrible b&w WWII movie ("Bitter Harvest")
and didn't get back on until 11z when I found the band absolutely wide open to
the whole US with very, very loud signals.  Everyone was s9 regardless of which
Rx antenna I used.  Would have been nice to have been on a bit earlier but
probably no real effect as there weren't all that many new people to work.

I only have beverages NE and W and with the QRN had to use them most of the
time.  If it's reasonably quiet I can hear well enough to the S and SE but I'm
sure I missed some folks down that way and apologize.  Even on the beverages it
was quite noisy and took a couple hours to find the right combination of rf
gain/attenuator/preamp/etc.

Thanks to Tree and Lew and the Boring Club for sponsoring such a great contest.
 I just wish more folks would join the fun.  I had about this many contacts in
the ARRL 160 the first night in approx half the time.

73,
greg/na8v

TS590sg + invL, 48ft vertical.  450ft bev NE, 450ft bev W

21    41
22    56
23    50
 0    48
 1    57
 2    43
 3    47
 4    26
 5    30
 6    49
 7    27
 8    13
 9     0
10     1
11    27
12    25
13    10
TO  550  (inc. 13 dupes)

  Country                  Prefix   160    Percent
     -------               ------  ---- ---- ----
   1 Croatia                 9A       3      0.55
   2 Fed. Rep. of Germany    DL      15      2.73
   3 Bosnia-Herzegovina      E7       1      0.18
   4 Spain                   EA       1      0.18
   5 Ireland                 EI       5      0.91
   6 France                  F        5      0.91
   7 England                 G        5      0.91
   8 Scotland                GM       1      0.18
   9 Wales                   GW       1      0.18
  10 Italy                   I        3      0.55
  11 United States           K      461     83.82
  12 US Virgin Islands       KP2      4      0.73
  13 Puerto Rico             KP4      1      0.18
  14 Austria                 OE       1      0.18
  15 Czech Republic          OK       6      1.09
  16 Belgium                 ON       3      0.55
  17 Denmark                 OZ       1      0.18
  18 Aruba                   P4       1      0.18
  19 Netherlands             PA       1      0.18
  20 Curacao                 PJ2      1      0.18
  21 Slovenia                S5       2      0.36
  22 Poland                  SP       3      0.55
  23 Canada                  VE      25