[3830] RAC Winter VY1AAA(@VY1JA) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 18:39:16 EST 2016

RAC Winter Contest

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): KB7Q VE3KI W1VE
Station: VY1JA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: YT
Operating Time (hrs):
Remote Operation

  160:   10     0        1         0
   80:  133     1        7         1
   40:   65     1        5         1
   20:  451     4       11         1
   15:   11     1        0         1
   10:    0     1        0         1
Total:  670     8       24         5  Total Score = 79,286

The "other" YCCC (Yukon CanAm Contest Club) operates VY1JA's station
remotely to put the YT multiplier on the air, especially in CW. Three of us
(Gene KB7Q, Rich VE3KI and Gerry W1VE) planned to do a multi-single in the RAC
Winter contest. We used a NeoRouter VPN for networking the N1MM+ logs at the
three operator locations, TeamViewer to access the controls for antenna
switching and the amplifier, Slack for instant messaging and communicating
among the four team members, and Remoterig RRCs for controlling J's K3S.
Antennas included a 4-element quad on 20 and 15, a V beam aimed at central USA
on 40, 80 and 160, and elevated GP verticals on 40 and 80.

The dominant factor as usual was propagation. There were long periods of time
when, although the bandmap was full of spotted stations, there were few to be
heard, and many of the ones that we could hear couldn't hear us. Occasionally
propagation smiled on us, though. Gene had a great run on 80 meters, dominated
by JA stations (not something we are used to from our home stations!), then on
Saturday he put together a 2-hour run on 20 meters at a sustained 110-120 rate,
and then again towards the end of the contest Rich had another good run on 20
meters.

We had planned to do both modes, but between equipment problems at the operator
locations and the one-way propagation (stations that were very loud here not
hearing us), we ended up sticking almost exclusively to CW. Gerry would have
liked to have operated SSB in between sessions operating as W1VE from Vermont,
but never got his remote microphone setup working. Rich did run the bands on
SSB with J's neighbour VY1KX, forgetting about the band change limit for
Multi-Single (despite the band change timer in N1MM+ staring him in the face!)
and thereby putting us into the Multi-Multi class. We were not going to win
either class anyway, so no worries. Apart from that plus three or four QSOs on
20m, we were all CW.

Besides the operating, we had a good time chatting. Thanks to VY1JA for the use
of his station. J's help was invaluable, not only in setting up the station but
also during the contest, knocking hoarfrost off the antennas and reminding us
when we needed to retune the amp or switch antennas (Rich discovered by
surprise that the 40m GP actually works on 160, sort of, before J reminded him
to switch to the V beam). J has lots more antenna plans in the works, so we are
looking forward to continual improvements to come.