[3830] TBDC N9ADG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 23 00:13:30 EST 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N9ADG
Operator(s): N9ADG
Station: N9ADG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 12  Total Score = 20

Maybe thirty watts pushed into a SteppIR BigIR Vertical tuned to 40m with 8
ground radials. SWR measured as "infinite". My ICOM 7410 was very
unhappy about trying to tune this antenna, and didn't really.

The first morning was one of those classic 160m experiences -- when the
boundaries of the 160m horizons seemed very far in the distance. Could hear JA
stations booming in on the vertical, and I was surprised by the lack of local
neighborhood noise. Bet some folks were able to make some great Qs. Worked
W2VJN in CN83 for the farthest grid in the first hour of the contest. Tried
many others, but they couldn't hear me. Saturday evening, KL7SB had the best
ears, and was able to hear me in a couple of calls. In the last hour of the
contest, JA stations were just ESP, but I was still able to make it over into
Oregon for a couple of Qs.

Lesson learned: a plain old 40m vertical might be a good compromise 160m
receive antenna, as I could hear many more stations than I could work.

See you next time!