[3830] TBDC W5MX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 23 21:04:17 EST 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KY

Total:  QSOs = 620  Total Score = 2,517

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I was about heart broken over this
contest. One of my favorites of the year, and as luck would have it, there were
thunderstorms and very high winds. As of about 22:00, these storms were a few
hundred KM the west of me and moved very slowly eastward. Eventually right on
top of me and finally moved off to the east. So my sincere apologies to all for
the ? all night. I normally hear very well, but even beverages couldn't escape
this. I had to pull the plug for about an hour or so right at central and
western EU sunrise as the lightening was right over my QTH. I could hear EU
strong all night, condx seemed great! I really struggled to pull out calls from
anywhere as the crashes became near constant. By the way, we maybe only get 1 or
2 of these type storms over the winter, slim odds to land right on top of what I
consider a major contest for me. I know all of us in this part of the world
suffered through this one.
But I guess it's the unpredictability of this game that makes it even that much
more intriguing.
Finally after storms moved east and using SW, W and NW beverages I could hear
well again - about 09:00 Z when casual NA ops were in bed. The 620 Q's I did
manage were a lot of work both for the contact station as well as myself, so
again, I appreciate the patience.
Otherwise, everything worked well in the station. Did discover the next day
that the high winds had knocked limbs down on several of the beverages. Got
those cleared off during the day Sunday. Hopefully this wont happen for the
CQWW 160!
Thanks to all for the Q's and see you in the next contest!
Bryan
W5MX