[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Feb 5 17:10:11 EST 2016

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND W8WTS
Station: PJ2T

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 27:38

Total:  QSOs = 1174  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 68  Total Score = 1,478,534

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

CQWW 160 CW 2016 was the seventh Multi-Op PJ2T operation in this contest since
2007 by Jim W8WTS and Jeff K8ND.  We were World #1 Multi-Op High Power for the
past two years, and are hoping for a three-peat!  If we include the 2012 and
2013 World #1 finishes by PJ2T in Single-Op Assisted and Single Op High Power
(K8ND operating), then a win in 2016 would represent a five-peat World #1
finish in this contest!

In November, Jim had his CQWW CW travel interrupted en route to PJ2T by a
medical issue and spent the next week, and the contest, at the University Of
Miami Hospital.  It was good having him back at the PJ2T Topband radio!

Conditions from Curacao to Europe were not great, with few periods of true
pileups.  Some common Europe multipliers were neither heard nor worked.  We
worked no JA stations (very unusual), no VK, and no ZL.  We did work DU7ET in
the Philippines, thus there was at least some propagation to the pacific.  It
seemed that after Western Europe sunrise, the number of stations in North
America available to work was smaller than usual, crashing the rate earlier and
lower than expected.

Noise at 12 degrees north of the Equator was not bad this year, with less noise
than usual on both nights.  Last year, in January 2015, every station had to be
pick-and-shovel "letter mined" from the noise.  This year we were
copying full calls most of the time!

This year at the station, we expanded from four CW Skimmers to five, with one
Software Defined Radio (SDR-IQ or Perseus) on each of five separate receiving
antenna systems.  Five SDRs and five receiving antenna systems feed a seemingly
never-ending stream of workable spots to the bandmap in the N1MM Logger+ contest
logging program, which we picked off at every opportunity!  While we were also
connected to the DX Cluster network via W8WTS-3 (dxc.w8wts.net) and our
off-site public CW Skimmer server PJ2A, we find these spot sources less
productive and relevant than our five on-site CW Skimmers.

We appreciate the QSOs from every station, large and small, and thank everyone
for participating in this awesome contest.  Congratulations to all of the top
scoring stations for a great job!

Radio: Elecraft K3 and P3.
Amp:   Ten Tec Titan III (417).
CW Skimmers (x5): SDR-IQ(x4), Perseus(x1).
TX Antenna: Inv-L.

RX Antennas:
              1000' Europe Beverage
              880' US/JA Beverage