[3830] NA Sprint CW N8XX QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Feb 6 23:48:16 EST 2016

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN

   80:  22        1
   40:   3      0.5
   20:   0        0
---------------------
Total:  25     Mults = 16  Total Score = 400

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC NCC Friends West

Comments:

Little tolerance for the frustrations of running QRP in this very strange
contest.

Spent a bit over 2 hours this afternoon running National Parks on the Air
(NPOTA).  We make 190+ contacts with a marginal antenna.  Nice to be a magnet
station, one spot on the DX cluster network and we were drowned with contacts,
not quite as bad as when I was running as W1AW/8 back in the ARRL centennial,
but enough to keep the juices flowing.

Maybe I was just tired from the hectic pace of the NPOTA but this particular
Sprint was an order of magnitude greater frustration than a typical Sprint.  I
chose to enter the melee "about an hour after the start" when I
figured a few folks "should" be drifting down to 40 meters.  But, I
was met with a "wall to wall and treetop tall" of stations.  20 must
have been a dud, because it was impossible to find a place to CQ, and the
"big guns" always beat me in the jump ball.  Screwed around for a
half hour working 3 stations, then went to 80 to await the crowd.  80 was about
as good a typical.  Off and on, I managed 22 stations in an hour or so.