[3830] ARRLDX CW N1CC SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 18:50:26 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Texas

  160:    8     8
Total:  715   264  Total Score = 566,280

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 @100W Antennas:  20-15-10 F12 C3 @64', 160-40 Inverted
L 50' Vertical 128' Horizontal with 8 65' Elevated Radials on transmit. K9SV BOG
and PRO-1B Loop (Nulling noise) through MFJ Phasing Noise Canceller. Two
identical 80/40 Fan Dipoles @50' one broadside N-S and the other E-W.

Noise Environment:  During the week before the contest the local RUS power
company (Trinity Valley Electric Cooperative) on my request worked on noise
remediation in my neighborhood.  Prior to their work most bands had S7-S9+20 dB
ambient noise levels.  That's down to S3 or less now on 10-15-20-40 and S6 or so
on 80 and 160. 80 and 160 still have some problems that are beyond my immediate
neighborhood - they will be back this week to work on those we both identified
so far.

Conditions:  Solar conditions were pretty reasonable at the start and by Sunday
afternoon the bands were quiet with strong signals, and no local noise!  Weather
conditions took out Saturday night with isolated local T-Storms that were mostly
overhead after 8 PM local.  Sunday was fine until 2300 when a front with nasty
weather and lightning finally got close enough to hear the thunder over the
quiet band conditions ... so quit an hour early to ground the station.

10 Meters was quite a bit down from previous years, as expected.  I usually
depend on 10 for a lot of multipliers and QSO's - The money band was 15-Meters
here with a lot of contacts, easy running EU and JA pileups for long periods.
20 and 40 were good, although disappointed that I had to quit Saturday night
and miss most of the 80/40 stuff!

I worked 4O3A on 40-Meters and he moved me to 160-Meters, couldn't hear him
then but picked up 2 more multipliers while looking for 403A. Did work a few
folks on all six bands.

One EU station kept following me around when I was running on 15M, and would
start CQing on my freq, and of course with his KW or more (Former USSR
Satellite country) so I would move.  5 Minutes later he would find my pileup
and take it over again.  He/She did this five times ... I have now blacklisted
that contest station and will report them to the contest committee - there is
NO question that he could not hear me there their one contact with me has been
removed from the log).  A "Ditter Jammer" followed me around at other
times - hate to see CW getting like SSB insofar as bad behaviors.

Some of the 10 Meter stations in DX-Land have unusual buzz and lots of clicks,
on those stations I don't hear that on the lower bands.  Suggests that they
should do some work on the amplifiers to reduce the corruption they scatter
about the band.