[3830] ARRLDX CW P49Y(AE6Y) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 21:12:17 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Aruba

   40: 1870    61
Total: 1870    61  Total Score = 342,210

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I've done single band 40m entries before, in CQWW CW and WPX CW, and really
enjoyed them.  But if you ever hear me suggesting it again for the ARRL DX
contest, please just shoot me instead.  This was a tough way to spend a weekend
during which, for medical reasons, I didn't want to do all the sitting still
required for an all-band effort.  So I thought 40 would be fun.  And it was,
for a few hours, but there were a lot of other hours with endless CQ-button
pushing to little or no avail.  The band was in great shape to EU in the
evenings and to JA, ZL and the Pacific in the early mornings, and, of course,
to the US and Canada all night -- it would have been a lot of fun to have been
working DX this weekend, not just NA.

  And did I mention the dupes?  I was staggered to have logged 169 dupes, over
8% of all contacts.  And those are only the ones I logged.  There were times
when I got so frustrated I would do a QSO B4 and just move on (for example, two
N8s who were both in the log twice and yet each called two or three more
times!).  While I'm mentioning pet peeves, let me add key clicks to the list --
from several big gun stations that should know better.

But I don't want to come across as a old curmudgeon.  Of course, contesting
always has a bright side, which included this weekend some very nice high-rate
hours on Friday night, and the usual exhibition of very good operating skills
by many of the contest participants.  The station set up was simple and
everything worked, as Ed, W0YK, P49X, basically left the radio and antennas
hooked up from his recent WPX RTTY effort.  And our new cable modem high-speed
internet and (even) my new Windows 10 laptop all cooperated.  Thanks to Ed and
co-owner John, W6LD, P40L, for all their work in organizing the house and
station and keeping both maintained.

And, of course the usual ham radio social scene on Aruba was in full-swing,
including JP and Cris (P43A, P43C), Lisandro (P43L) and xyl-Lissette, Martin
and Truus (P49MR, P49MRS), Andy (K2LE, P40LE), John (W2GD, P40W)and a
contingent of DLs: Ben (DL6RAI), and his guests Olli, Paul and Tom (DH8BQA,
DL5CW, and DL5LYM). The island was definitely RF-central for the Caribbean this
weekend.

Congratulations are in order for some fine efforts from Aruba, including P40XM
as a Multi-2, P40W as a SOAB QRP, and P40LE as a limited time 10m single band
from our QTH (using his radio) in the afternoons when I was not operating.

73, and thanks for all the (non-dupe) QSOs,
Andy, AE6Y, P49Y

Rig: K3, Alpha 91B
Ant: Two el. Force 12 at 65 feet, beverages
Software: CQPWIN ver. 12.8
Check it out at www.arubaqth.com