[3830] ARRLDX CW K8MR SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 22:01:35 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FL

   80:    1     1
Total:  362   150  Total Score = 162,900

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I once again took the KX3 and verticals to the waterfront of Sarasota Bay.
Conditions were certainly down from last year, when 10 meters was good for
close to 200 QSOs.

Thursday night I pulled out the old ThinkPad that I use for mobile contesting -
it is the only computer I have for which I have a DC-DC supply - and it was
dead. So I ended up using the WinKey in freestanding mode, and logged on paper.
The logging wasn't bad for S&P operation, but duping was tougher. I ended up
typing the log into N1MM when back home, and then having to do a PrintScreen to
get that dupe sheet onto paper to take back to the operating site.

It was a beautiful day to be outside contesting. Several interesting
conversations at the park, the most interesting being a fellow who 30 years ago
was a CW instructor and SWL in Romania,though he never got a transmitting
license back there. Sunday a fellow in the next car over spent some time
playing some nice acoustic guitar for a bit of background audio.

This park has no facilities, so I was limited to relatively short operating
periods, including teardown and setup and a 10 minute drive back home each
time. At high tide that included working in the water halfway to my knees.

Best laugh was when G2F, on 40 meters, asked me if I could QSY to 160. Somehow
I don't that a KX3 and 33 foot wire, even with salt water, would make that
path. Nearby T48K was the lone 80 meter qso, again with the 33 foot vertical
wire and no special loading.

73 - Jim  K8MR/4