[3830] ARRLDX CW RM2D(SM6LRR) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 03:37:47 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: RM2D
Operator(s): SM6LRR
Station: RM2D

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Vereya (Moscow)

Total:  390   124  Total Score = 145,080

The sun cycle is changing rapidly and by comparing results from 2015 with the
reality of 2016, all is pretty clear from this part of the world at least.

I spent 13 hours this year compared to 15 in 2015. Overall score was down 30%
while QSO numbers were similar (390 this year compared to 430). The main
difference was complete absence of 10 meter openings this years compared to
2015 when I worked 36 contacts with 17 states/provinces. This despite the fact
that a single vertical at 10 meters height has been replaced with a much more
efficient 2 element hexbeam at 18 meters height.

40 meters was also down with half QSO amount and hard struggle to get the 32
multipliers. Last year I logged 44 multipliers with my vertical and 2 elevated
radials.

My hexbeam did a good job on 15 and 20 meters, but the W7, W6 and northern W0s
were very weak and hard to get.

Nevertheless, ARRL DX CW will always be one of my favorite contests. Meeting
old and new friends and giving them points on different bands is always great.
Last year I made 5 band contacts with 16 stations, and 4 band contacts with 18
stations. The comparison with this year was a depressing zero stations on 5
bands and the same amount 4 band contacts (18).

Operator skills from North America are excellent, however activity seems to go
down from year to year (or maybe it is a result that small pistols are hard to
get with my modest setup).

See you in the SSB part if I can manage to combine it with planned business
trips!

Transceiver:  TS 590 S
Amplifier:    Expert 1.3 K-FA

80 meters:     1/4-wave vertical with 2000 m + radials
40 meters:     1/4-wave vertical with 2 elevated radials
20 meters:     SP7IDX Hexbeam at 18 meters height
1 5meters:     SP7IDX Hexbeam at 18 meters height
10 meters:     SP7IDX Hexbeam at 18 meters height

Power:         1 kW

Software:      Wintest - K1EL Winkeyer

73 de RM2D (SM6LRR), Mats