[3830] ARRLDX CW AB1XW SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 12:10:35 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1XW
Operator(s): AB1XW
Station: AB1XW

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: MA

   80:    3     3
   10:   11     8
-------------------
Total:  410   165  Total Score = 202,950

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I started out unassisted, with the intention of doing more running and less
searching-and-pouncing this year. I run 100W from a low-end Icom (IC-7200), and
my antennas consist of a wire doublet in the trees and a ground-mounted
multi-band vertical in the side yard between two houses. When people say
“even a modest station can run in ARRL DX,” they apparently don’t mean
one quite this modest. After several unsuccessful attempts at establishing
runs, I found myself back in S&P mode, which got tiresome pretty quickly.
On Sunday I gave up on the unassisted idea and switched to using the cluster.
After a short initial learning process this nearly doubled my rates. Assisted
is clearly the way to go for a station like mine.