[3830] ARRLDX CW W7VO SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 16:38:29 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W7VO
Operator(s): W7VO
Station: W7VO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    4     3
Total:  525   215  Total Score = 338,625

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

It was a great weekend for the test, with a mixed bag of propagation and a few
surprises along the way. I did have one fundamental mistake that I am sure cost
me big time in the final score:
For some strange reason that I'm sure made sense at the time, I decided that I
would run SOAB Unlimited LP, rather than HP.  While contesting CW works fine
when there a lot of sunspots, it was a real challenge breaking pileups with my
100 watts.  I ran 100% S&P and spent a LOT of time moving around waiting
for pileups to clear so I could work people.

On the lowbands I found my 400 foot Beverage to be a real lifesaver on both 80M
and 160M, as the noise was S9+ on both bands here all weekend.  I worked quite a
few with the separate RX antenna that I would have missed just using my slopers
alone. I really envy you guys that have RF quiet QTH's!

I did miss a couple of hours on Sunday morning to do some shopping with the
XYL, so I missed the last hour or so of the EU opening on 20M.  Still, a great
weekend, and every strange noise I hear around the house sounds like CW
now.....

73;
Mike, W7VO