[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 20:09:30 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: CA

Total:  840    96  Total Score = 241,920

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

On Thursday I stayed up until 3 AM, planning to sleep in on Friday and shift my
sleep time on Saturday and Sunday to daytime so I'd be wide awake through the
nights for SOSB/40.  This backfired in a major way when I woke up at 7 on
Friday and couldn't get back to sleep.

I arrived at the W6YX station just over an hour before the contest start.  It
didn't take long to get set up for SO2R with 2xK3/P3/Alpha-9500.  Primary
antenna was the M2 4 el. monobander and for the second radio an inverted vee.

I tuned across the band in the half hour before the contest start and was able
to hear several European, Caribbean and South America stations in addition to
all the W/VE activity.  Despite being 2 hours before sunset I worked 32 QSOs in
the first hour, all S&P.  I ran for 20 minutes in the 0100 hour while
S&P on the second radio.  This wasn't very successful since I couldn't
easily work Europeans with the inverted vee and had to QSY the run radio to
work the stations I found.

A family activity forced me to leave around 0230 and I didn't return until
almost 0700.  When I returned I only heard a few weak Europeans that I'd
already worked, so I beamed JA and began running.  With many weak stations
calling I stopped listening on the second radio for almost an hour until the
rate slowed.

During the JA run I tuned across V6A who had a big pileup.  My rate was fairly
high so I decided to circle back and work V6A later.  Never heard him again.
One of two mults heard but not worked.

I had planned to operate until about 1600Z and then drive home to sleep.  In
the 1400 hour I started to get really drowsy due to my limited sleep on Friday
morning.  Around 1420 I downed a Coke to keep me awake, drove the 15 minutes to
my house, and went to bed.  I only slept for 4 hours again.  Very frustrating to
not be able to sleep when the band isn't open.

I've been reading everyone's comments about the amazing longpath opening from
the west coast on Saturday morning.  This opening probably started a half hour
after I went QRT.

Since I'd been hearing Europeans on Friday afternoon in the 2300 hour I got
back on the air shortly after 2300 and S&Ped 13 Qs in that hour.  Not a
great rate but unexpected for nearly 3 hours before sunset.  EU signals seemed
to be much stronger than the first evening.

I didn't have much success CQing until around 0230.  I found an open spot near
7014 and kept up a slow but steady run.  Meanwhile, on the second radio I tuned
across the same stations MANY times and occasionally would find a new DX station
to work.  I heard 3V8SS CQing but he didn't hear me or any of the other callers
trying to work him at that time.  After reading his report I suspect some
newbie SO2R issue - monitor tones too loud, accidentally listening only to the
other radio, or some similar issue.  When I returned to his QRG later he was no
longer heard.

At 0600 I realized that I was not going to make it all night and would likely
miss any longpath opening again.  So, with the band still open to EU and
already hearing JAs, I drove home and slept until 1000Z.  I was on the air
again at 1025Z and slowly worked JAs, BYs, YBs, HLs, VKs and whoever else would
call me while picking up a few new ones on the second radio.

Just before 1500Z I tuned across a fluttery signal that was A65BP.  I'd worked
him the previous evening when his signal was much weaker.  I swung the beam to
longpath EU and started CQing low in the band, ignoring the Chinese OTH radar
that everyone had been avoiding in the lower 20 kHz of the band.

I made 16 LP QSOs including 3 new mults - LA, PA and 5H.  I don't know how the
LP opening on Sunday compared to Saturday but I'm glad I took the 4 hours off
to be rested and not miss it a second time.

The rate had slowed considerably so at 1600Z I returned home for a few more
hours of sleep.  Since there were already workable EU stations at 2300 the
previous day I decided to return at 2200 and try my luck.  The only DX station
heard weakly was CR3A.  Closer to 2300 I copied IR4X and then some Caribbean
and South Americans.  On every frequency where I heard W/VE stations working
someone I couldn't hear I recorded a bogus callsign (DX1, DX2, etc.) in the
bandmap and periodically returned to check on each station.

I'd heard an unruly pileup and could hear the DX station but not copy the
callsign due to the pileup.  On returning later I found it was 6W1RW, a new
mult.  The pileup had dwindled and no one was calling so I tried a few times
but he didn't hear me.  Then other callers appeared again - which is when I
noticed the amp was still in Standby so I was calling with 30W.  It took
another 10 minutes of trying to break the new pileup before I finally worked
him.

Eventually most of the DX entries in my bandmap were identified and only two
had not already been worked - OE6Z and S58M.  I worked OE6Z but S58M couldn't
hear me.  Two QSOs in the last 2 hours, one of them a new mult.  I didn't try
CQing since the EU signals I heard were much weaker than Saturday and it's
likely that any clear frequency was probably occupied by someone I wasn't
hearing.

Thanks for all the QSOs, especially those requiring multiple repeats of
callsign or exchange.  The band was full of crud and it was often hard to pull
out weak signals.  Note to self... go to sleep at a normal time before the
contest to be well rested instead of staying up late to shift sleeping hours.

73,
-Mike, N7MH

Cabrillo Statistics (edited) (Version 10g) by K5KA & N6TV
http://bit.ly/cabstat

CALLSIGN: W6YX
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
CONTEST: ARRL-DX-CW
OPERATORS: N7MH

-- QSO   Rate   Summary --
Hour      40  Total    Pct
--------------------------
0000      32     32    3.8
0100      27     59    7.0
0200      18     77    9.2
0300-0500  0     77    9.2
0600       1     78    9.3
0700     114    192   22.9
0800      77    269   32.0
0900      76    345   41.1
1000      73    418   49.8
1100      43    461   54.9
1200      41    502   59.8
1300      29    531   63.2
1400      10    541   64.4
1500-2200  0    541   64.4
2300      13    554   66.0
0000      16    570   67.9
0100      22    592   70.5
0200      14    606   72.1
0300      22    628   74.8
0400      35    663   78.9
0500      20    683   81.3
0600       3    686   81.7
0700-0900  0    686   81.7
1000      26    712   84.8
1100      36    748   89.0
1200      28    776   92.4
1300      26    802   95.5
1400      19    821   97.7
1500      17    838   99.8
1600-2200  0    838   99.8
2300       2    840  100.0
--------------------------
Total    840

Gross QSOs=866        Dupes=26        Net QSOs=840

Unique callsigns worked = 840

The best 60 minute rate was 138/hour from 0716 to 0815
The best 30 minute rate was 152/hour from 0720 to 0749
The best 10 minute rate was 162/hour from 0720 to 0729

The best 1 minute rates were:
 4 QSOs/minute    3 times.
 3 QSOs/minute   35 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  127 times.
 1 QSOs/minute  469 times.

There were 0 bandchanges and 0 (0.0%) probable 2nd radio QSOs.

--- Continent   Summary ---
                  40    Pct
---------------------------
North America     41    4.9