[3830] ARRLDX CW K9YC SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 20:28:46 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: SCV

  160:    2     1
Total:  595   225  Total Score = 401,625

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Note that I ran assisted -- that is, with the cluster. I'm not sure this is a
valid category, so I may be a check log.

This was a serious QRP effort from my home station. It's set up for SO2R, but
SO2R wasn't used for anything more than an easy, fast way to change bands. This
was entirely S&P. What really surprised me is how well I was able to make
QSOs over some pretty long paths. I worked 193 JAs, 10 of them on 80M, and a
lot on 40M. I worked D4C on four bands, usually with a pileup.

The highlight was catching a greyline opening on 40M Saturday morning that
yielded RU1A, SN2M, YT7A, UR5WA, 9A9R, the real capper, A65BP!  As Al noted,
15M was really great Sunday morning, as indicated by the countries count. The
effort brings my all-band QRP DXCC count to 160, and adds a lot of
band-countries.

I know I'm just a beginner at this as compared to what N6WG and W6JTI have done
with QRP, but I feed good anyway.   Frank, W6JTI, was putting in a full time
effort on his mountaintop, so I'm prepared to be blown away by his score.

BTW -- for those interested in QRP, I've come to the conclusion that contests
and DXpeditions are the best times to do it. That may seem counter-intuitive
with all the QRM that's present, but both situations tend to involve better
stations, better antennas, and better operators on the other end. For at least
a year, I've made it a point to make at least one QRP QSO with every
DXpedition, and so far I've been successful. I worked VP8STI, VP8SGI, and K5P
QRP, and even worked K5P QRP on 160M!