[3830] ARRLDX CW K3SU SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 24 14:50:09 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K3SU
Operator(s): K3SU
Station: K3SU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Elizabethtown, PA

  160:    4     4
   80:    7     7
Total:  380   174  Total Score = 198,360

Although I made many contacts, I found it frustrating that many of the "big
guns" and those who think they are "big guns" were transmitting
at 30-40 WPM, which caused me to listen for extended periods of time to decifer
the call and/or power. In many cases I was unable to copy and thus just moved
on. I am confortable at 20-25 WPM, but not at 30-40. I believe that only 5-10%
of the operators can copy efficiently at 30-40 WPM, if that. 50% might be able
to copy in a contest mode at 25 WPM, and the other 50% much less than 25 WPM in
a contest mode.
In my opinion, if speeds were maintained at 25 WPM or less, there would be a
significant increase in the "big gun" scores as well as all the
"little gun" scores.
There should be an effort made to encourage slower speeds, which I believe
would increase the satisfaction of all participants, and may, in fact, even
increase the number of participants.
Regards, Roger Wheeler, K3SU