[3830] ARRLDX CW IZ3NVR SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Feb 26 04:34:26 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: IZ3NVR
Operator(s): IZ3NVR
Station: IZ3NVR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: JN65

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  327    98  Total Score = 96,138

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

I started this contest with the will of improving my last year's score (300Qs
and 102k points) and worked hard in order to achieve such a result. I worked on
a new antenna system with an used FB33 that I had to clean and fix before the
contest working -litterally- at nights when I came home from work. Arranged the
station for the use of the second radio in order to S&P on two bands at once
and all was setted in time (22z).

Didn't really bother much for 160m and 80m as I already knew my 5W would have
been almost useless on those bands. 40m were really bad on day one and I got
about 6 contacts in the first 5 hours. I was thinking about quitting but
finally 15m woke up and, being that my usual money band, I got some real fun.
The second radio was mainly useless but I managed about 20 contacts overall
mainly made on 20m during day 2.
By checking the log I noticed that all contacts made by the second radio shows
a band frequency and not a specific frequency. Didn't notice the CAT not
communicating with the radio. I used N1MM+ and I am honestly not liking it a
lot. The program is quite heavy to run in my P3 512mb shack computer, I prefer
the previous version. The only nice feature of N1MM is the bandmap and the
possibility to "self-spot" in the bandmap a station so you can go
back and try to work it later. This is definitely a nice feature and I used it
a lot especially in those stations showing a huge pileup. I simply market it in
my bandmap and kept sweeping the band.

No signal on 10m despite the 4 element monobander. I don't really know if its a
matter of activity or just propagation.

Reached my target of improving the number of contacts by 27Qs but fell short of
almost 6k to improve my score. Lots of NY-MA-MD-PA states but no
"rare" multipliers except for a station sending me "SD" on
40m on sunday morning. Quite weird given the time and the strenght of that
station. I logged what I heard but still...am not exactly sure it's a good
one.

Thanks to my YL who has been that patient to allow me a full entry in this
one.
See you next one

Stefano
IZ3NVR