[3830] NAQP RTTY K4RC(@NR4C) M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 28 21:46:31 EST 2016

North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: K4RC
Operator(s): NR4C AI4WU AJ4XV K1NUH K4MI WA3RWP AI4QQ
Station: NR4C

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: va
Operating Time (hrs): 11:53

   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  232    81  Total Score = 18,792

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

The Colonial Capital Chapter took this opportunity to introduce interested
locals into the fun of RTTY contesting.  After a hearty breakfast, we ventured
out to put up the antenna and setup the radio etc.  While Bill, NR4C, setup the
rig, Chuck, AI4WU, explained what RTTY is all about, and how it works with our
amateur equipment.  We had the monitor hooked to a projection screen so all
could see what was happening throughout the contest.  We got off to a slow
start and missed seven minutes!  We should have been warned since the antenna
went up easily (except for having to un-tangle the fan dipole), so....

We started on 10 Meters and it was slow.  We weren't getting as much action as
we thought we should.  Moved to Fifteen.  Still slow but better.  Then  noted
that power wasn't up to 100 W.  Sure enough. set to 35W!  How did that happen?
Moved to twenty meters, slow.  Not getting response.  You guessed it, 35 W.
Moved to 40 meters, and set power to 100  W and things begin to come together.
Found a hole and started running and things picked up real nice.  Worked 40 till
the P3 went blank, and moved to 80.  Bill S&P'd for a while, then found a
very narrow slot and ran. Oh boy,, 80 was hot.  Ran till he couldn't hold on to
the mouse anymore and Will slipped into the chair and finished the contest.
Sunday morning as we took down the antenna, Bill realized the K3 had been used
at another event last December for a PSK station, and that is why the power was
set so low.
We had a great time and learned to bunch.  And I have to thank Steve, NR4M, for
inviting me up to the "Goatfarm" to work the WPX RTTY contest and he
showed me how to operate RTTY in a contest.  Thanks, Steve!

...bill  nr4c