[3830] CQ160 SSB WA5FWC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 28 22:24:21 EST 2016

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: WA5FWC
Operator(s): WA5FWC
Station: WA5FWC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10:12

Total:  QSOs = 303  State/Prov = 42  Countries = 11  Total Score = 27,090

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This was a very fun contest. I ran lp only 100 watts from my FTDX 1200 Yaesu
transceiver. Antenna an Inverted Vee. I did use beaverage rx antenna. I
compared the V on recieve with the Bevs and the Bevs weere better by far.
During the main melee of the contest some of the locals were so loud that the v
was usless within a few Kcs of the loud signals. the bevs were not effected as
they attenuated the signal levels to where they were not a problem. 160 was an
intercom from coast to coast. The 160 meter signals were beautiful just kept
rollin in. I had a limited amount of time to put in this contest. My best
friend for life other than my wife had a major heart attack Wednesday Morning.
I have spent many hours by his bedside with my wife and his family this weekend
being there during the daytime being there daily, then rush home from
Presbeterian hospital in Dallas,TX to put in a few hours each evening on 160
ssb. The band was very noisy Friday evening but many signals were plenty loud
and easy to work. Saturday morning was great also with a decrease in the noise
levels. Close  DX was easy to work with many of them calling me as I was able
to hold a frequency with 100 watts most of the time. I did some SP when the
pilleups lagged. I pretty well stayed near 1.844 as my antenna is resonate for
only a about 30kcs. When I used the antenna tuner it reduced my output as I
moved away from its happy point. I did manage a few qs up around 1,912kc but
even with my internal tuner output was cut dranatcally, Dave says I need an
Active antenn tuner, an Amplifier. Maybe I can get one together this year. as
well as a better transmit antenna. I hope your experience with this contest
each year is as memprable as mine. I think the only state I lacked this time
was Montana, Hawaii, Alaska, I will try next year maybe a better and and some
power to cut thru the noise. this was not my best effort but all I could do
this year. Good Luck to the guys that rreally put forth the effort they deserve
it. Gary WA5FWC