[3830] CQ160 SSB N7GP(N5IA) Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 28 22:41:42 EST 2016

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: AZ -- DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 731  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 30  Total Score = 157,380

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Propagation is the great leveler on 160 Meters.

In 2013 I had QSOs = 838 State/Prov = 55 Countries = 21 Total Score = 150,480.

In 2014 I had QSOs = 742 State/Prov = 55 Countries = 12 Total Score = 110,081.

In 2015 I has QSOs = 722 State/Prov = 55 Countries = 13 Total Score = 111,520.

Now for 2016, QSOs = 731 State/Prov = 56 Countries = 30 Total Score = 157,380.

For 2013 and 2014 the transmit antenna was a single vertical.

The 2015 & 2016 transmit antenna was a full sized 8-Circle.

The short opening to EU on Night Two made the big difference between this
year's score and the previous two.

I worked all states including DX counters HI and AK, with LA & AK being the
hold outs until night Two.  Night Two also brought 2 each DC.

I managed to log CR2X, IQ9UI, and ZL2OK for the best DX on Night One.

Night One started very slow.  Running was not producing any rate, so at 0130 I
moved to the S&P mode.  I worked stations from 1.803 to 1.998 while making
two passes of the band.  The band was full with signals every 3 kHz and I did
find lots of mults.

At 0400, after six hours, I had a total of 121 Qs in the log.  Not good.  Then
the band changed for the better.  0400 to 0500 was the best of the contest when
73 more Qs were logged.  Still, the rate was low and I decided to move to the
Assisted class to make the best use of the remaining time.

The balance of the night was spent running with short excursions to pick off
the few new spots that were showing up.  In the end, it probably was not worth
it to use the assistance, with only a couple of dozen Qs obtained by working
spots.  A lesson learned.

Night Two started off better as both the 0200 and 0300 hours yielded more Qs
than on Night One.  The rate tapered off after 0430 and I made the first
S&P sweep of the band.  The Q rate was slow, but I did find UA2F and S51V,
and with much difficulty logged them through the east coast CQ machine
barrier.

At 0500 I worked ED8W with good signals and the band appeared to be improving.
I managed to squeeze in between a couple of signals and started my own CQ
string.  At 0537 I was called by HG8DX and that started a 50 minute window
where I logged 12 EU stations for 8 mults.  The signals were weak and watery,
but a Q for a mult is good any way it comes.

At the same time, signals to the US east coast dropped in level and this
feature made it easier to hear the weak DX.  Thanks for small things including
a relatively interference free 'channel'.

As the terminator moved off the continent I was hoping for some action from the
G stations.  EA1SA called when he was in total daylight.  Nothing was heard from
G-land until I was called by GW3YDX as the terminator was right at the top of
the British Isles.  CU3AC called in when the terminator was at his location.
And that was the end of the adrenalin rush.

Direct CQing to SA proved fruitful with replies from LU8DPM and YV6CR.  Direct
CQing to Australia received a reply from VK4ZD.  The Canadian Provinces of
Quebec and Saskatchewan, plus WL7X called in and completed my mult list.

The last few hours were VERY SLOW, as is normal in this contest.  This afforded
the time to chat with a number of friends.

Where do the contacts come from? The top 5 west of the Mississippi were AZ=36,
CA=32, TX=28, WA=20 and CO=17.  These are the usual Top 5, but this year AZ
beat out CA for the top spot.  Way to go Outlaws and others.

The top 5 east of the Mississippi were OH=33, IL=32, PA=29, MI=25, and VA &
MO tied for 5th with 23 from each state.  MN, where did you go this year?

These total Q numbers are down from last year.  However, some normally more
difficult states had an upswing in total numbers.  MT=8, WY=6, and both ID
& ND called in with 5 Qs each.  LA & SD were the only states in the
lower 48 to register a single Q.

The VE provinces contributed 31 Qs (3 less than last year) and XE land provided
6 Qs.  The usual Canadian mults were again absentee.  I heard one NS while I was
S&Ping, but never heard him otherwise.

No HL or UA0 were heard.  BU/BY were spotted but never heard.  I sincerely hope
that someday in the near future, for this next SS cycle low, that the JA
government will allow the JA operators SSB privileges on Top Band.  What a
boost that would be to after midnight activity in this contest for the western
half of NA.

Thanks for all the contacts. A sincere apology is made to those that I could
not pull out of the noise. CU all next season.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP