[3830] CQ160 SSB N4RV Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 29 11:49:13 EST 2016

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N4RV
Operator(s): N4RV KE3X
Station: N4RV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Virginia

Total:  QSOs = 1092  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 40  Total Score = 264,228

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After Ken, KE3X, asked if we could do a M/S operation in this contest, I decided
to check out the antennas, etc. as I had not been on 160 for some time. Found
the beverages in good shape, but the transmit antenna was in need of repair,
but still worked. It is only an Inv. V at a height of 90'. One side had fallen
and become entangled in tree branches, and despite my best efforts I could not
free it entirely. It still seemed to work and the SWR was fine.

Since Ken had a lot of other functions to attend to over the contest weekend,
we both operated when available. Ken drove over and op'ed for a number of hours
each evening, and I did my best to op the other hours. I began each afternoon,
and Ken filled in for a number of hours each evening before heading back home.
I did my best to stay up the entire night but at age 75, I'm finding that more
difficult each year ! Last QSO was at 0711 Z on Sunday. Was unable to op on
Sunday afternoon before the end.

Conditions seemed very good to the US, although the activity from the West
Coast seemed somewhat down from previous years.
Conditions to EU were not so good, but I really don't have a very effective EU
antenna, however we did work a fair number of EU mults.
 As N3RR noted in his write up concerning the gray line, I had a similar
occurrence.
While running stations I heard TF2LL at S9+ calling. I answered but he did not
respond. I again called him and heard him working a EU station on the freq. I
called him again to no avail. It was at the exact grayline this occurred. He
was as loud as any EU station I heard the entire contest. Never heard him again
:(