[3830] RTTY Roundup W6YX(N7MH) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 4 21:20:45 EST 2016

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Stanford

Total: 1310  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 58  Total Score = 150,650

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Mine was one of three full-time high power RU efforts from W6YX - K6SU and K6UFO
were both M/S.  I planned to try SO2R, adding a 4th (low power) transmitter to
the mix at the station, but my lack of RTTY experience with both the K3 and the
YCCC SO2R box prevented me from getting more than one radio set up and working.

Many thanks to K6UFO and N6DE for helping me set up for AFSK RTTY using a K3
and Writelog in the hour before the contest started.  Now that I've observed
Mark and Dean setting up for RTTY maybe I'll be able to do it myself in the
future.

Two stations on the same band worked for some bands and beam headings.  20 to
either the eastern US or to EU had only minor interference near the transmit
frequencies.  40 beaming east worked equally well.  The noise floor was raised
across the band on 80 yet all but the weakest signals still printed.  Phase
noise was too high on 15 to get any print while the other station transmitted
so no same-band operation.  One of our 10m Yagis has high SWR and the other 10m
antennas are too close to each other so we didn't even try same-band operation
on 10.

CBSW shows my highest 60-minute rate as 99 with a max 10-minute rate of 138.
Both of these were in the first two hours when I was on 10 meters.  Highlight
of the contest was working 4 new EU mults in the final half hour of the contest
on 40 meters.

73,
-Mike, N7MH