[3830] NAQP CW W0NA(@W4AAW) M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 10 05:03:45 EST 2016

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W0NA
Operator(s): K3TN KJ0D N1RM W3UL W4AAW K4XD
Station: W4AAW

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Remote Operation

Total: 1500   254  Total Score = 381,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

This was an almost completely remote Multi2 effort, with operators from MD (K3TN
and W3UL), MO (KJ0D), NC (K4XD) and VA (N1RM). Station owner, sherpa and guru
Mike W4AAW filled in locally when needed. We dedicated this operation to the
memory of KL7RA - just didn't seem like an NAQP without hearing that call.

The solar flare gods appeared to stay at home to watch the football playoffs, a
good thing. 10 and 15 were our Achilles heel - conditions were not great and the
bands seemed thin.  20 was its usual workhorse self, thought it went to bed
early, while 80 and 40 were the gifts that just kept giving. 160M was its usual
self, though towards the end a front and rain squalls moving through upped the
noised level.

Nice to work all the other RICHs, along with the CHACHOs. Seemed to be more
TEDs than usual, maybe another memorial going on. 8P9NX was a nice surprise on
a few bands. Also nice to work many new calls - NAQP is a great on-ramp for
future CW contesters.

The W4AAW station played flawlessly, though we had some scrambling immediately
before the start to offer several reboots to the N1MM+ networking demons, who
aren't very friendly to VPN-connected positions. The wireless Internet service
at W4AAW was also well behaved - since in remote operation, the Internet is
your paddle/headset/footswitch connection, that is a major plus...

Already looking forward to the next one.