[3830] NAQP SSB KK4R Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 17 11:11:08 EST 2016

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   11     7
   15:   21     8
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  259    85  Total Score = 22,015

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Colonial Capital 1

Comments:

I did great on 80m late Saturday, but an odd problem knocked me out of the
contest for the duration.  During a run, a dupe station called me.  When I
looked at the time on the previous contact, it was way off.  The whole log was
5 hours ahead of UTC.  It turned out the PC clock was wacky, even though it was
set for network time and the time zone was correct.

Why didn't I just continue and deal with it later?  The lesson had to be
learned.  I fixed the PC time.  The controls for time in Windows 10 don't
behave as should be expected, and the underlying software must be screwy.  I
tried a number of things, eventually changing to wrong time settings and then
back again to get the correct time.

Problem solved?  No!  Foolishly I started logging again and the new contacts
with correct time got buried back in the log.  Uh-oh!  Now it would be a
problem to correct the log later.  Why not change the PC time back to the wrong
time, finish the contest, and correct the whole log later?  No!  The PC won't
change time to the wrong time zone now!  What is going on?

That ended the contest for me.  Now the log had to be corrected.  That should
be simple in N1MM+, just subtract 300 minutes.  Well, that didn't work and I
got SQL errors, which I reported.  After the PC time experience, I was ready to
try superstitious behavior and began entering other correction values than -300
minutes.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes not.  In the end, the log was
within one minute of correct UTC, and I quit.  Whew!  Glad that's over!