[3830] NAQP SSB WA3AER Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 17 14:31:06 EST 2016

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: WA3AER
Operator(s): WA3AER
Station: WA3AER

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Maryland

  160:    0     0
   10:   23     7
-------------------
Total:  262    93  Total Score = 24,366

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Northwest 2

Comments:

I signed as "RICH" this time in remembrance of my friend KL7RA. Miss
hearing him on the bands. A few folks who know me were puzzled, but I made sure
they understood the name change this go around. It's also a good reason not to
depend on CallHistory files.

I opted to try running Unassisted this time. Not sure that was the best idea
since successful runs are not easy from this QTH. I missed having the bandmap
spots I normally use for S&P. Using the P3 monitor helps build one, but
it's a lot more effort. Not sure I will do that again. Hopefully NCJ will
establish a SingleOp Assisted category so we don't continue to be lumped in
with the M/2s who clean our clocks.

Noise on 40M at this QTH made the band almost unusable. Even the K3 NB was
challenged by the grunge. 80M wasn't exactly quiet, but it was a better
producer for me. IF I had but remembered to turn the K3 up to 100W, the Runs
and S&P Qs on 80M would likely have been -easier- and yielded more. Talk
about Brain Farts, that was a big one! At least I remembered to turn the power
back down to 55W on the other bands afterwards so the amp won't go volcanic
next time I use it.

And, No, I am not inclined to do QRP Unassisted next time. I think I lack the
patience.