[3830] RAC Day VE9AA SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Jul 1 20:38:28 EDT 2016

RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 17:14

   20:  440    486      11        11
Total:  440    486      11        11  Total Score = 84,216

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

I should've done an all band effort ! Oh well....waddya gonna do.
20m was pretty good at the start and I went to bed when it was still open.
Should've stayed up later I guess. That will be my downfall.

I think VE3KZ, VE3CX and maybe VE5MX all did 20m single band.  Not sure about
W1WMU....maybe.  I bet that all clobbered me. I sleep too much !

Got up early but made one lone QSO into EU in my first hour, so I quit for an
hour; went and had coffee and a big breakfast. (mistake #2, as I was still
sleepy running a "20 hour"

This contest I did not do SO2R, but SO2V with a radio I am not at all familiar
with....a K3....there was something going on with the 2nd RX as it would often
(most of the time) sound like I had tight filters on when trying to listen to
SSB on the 2nd rx, even though when I set them up they are fine, they revert
nearly instantly to something else.  Gonna need to figure that one out before
IARU, where I'll be in NFLD.

Highlights: Many folks who can copy me @ the noise level.

Thrill: HAving VY1KX call me with 12 minutes to go ! ! (thank you; whoever you
were)

Most idiotic thing heard: I was running on 20m SSB and a guy popped in and
asked me if I was in Newfoundland. I said no.  So he starts calling CQ
Newfoundland on my frequency !

Later, almost as idiotic was some guy (In EU I think) calling CQ with a really
low gravelly voice making up his callsign(s) as he went along.  Something like
OH2PMG6HGOOW3 and then it would change.  That was really weird, but I ignored
him and he went away eventually.

Some EU sent me "IO" (eye, oh) for a report over and over).  I didn't
log it.  Was it supposed to be TEN? FIFTY? Something else?  Is there really a
great need for cut numbers in a slow contest (any contest for that matter)

Overall, a good time, but I had hope to work 1000 Q's and / or break
100,000pts.

Looks like I fell short.

No PEI in my log on either mode on 20m. (and I am nearly next door !)

Mike K3, Quad loop, base at 10', N1MM+, small amp ~600w