[3830] RAC Day VE4RAC(VE4EAR) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jul 2 14:16:37 EDT 2016

RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4RAC
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4RAC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18:40

  160:    5       2      4         2
   80:   26      36      6         7
   40:   59     333      7        10
   20:  178     622     11        12
   15:   37      25      5         5
   10:    1       2      0         2
    6:    1       3      0         1
    2:    0       1      0         1
Total:  307    1024     33        40  Total Score = 547,646

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Despite the less than stellar propagation conditions, this was my best effort in
the Canada Day event. I am sure using the RAC callsign provides an automatic 6
dB gain in signal strength.

I have been so busy with work and family the last several months that I had not
been into the station to operate. My plan had been to move to 40 and 80m early
as many casual operators east of here head for bed early. Unfortunately when I
switched to 80m, to my surprise my antenna was open. So I had to make a
decision to climb the tower or be content with working at 40m and above. I
chose to climb the tower and managed to get the antenna connected. The extra 19
mults produced on 80/160 came in handy. The downside was a loss of 1 hour of
prime 40m time.

My CW is still a struggle. Actually, I am not sure what is worse, my hunt and
peck typing or my CW.

I kept checking for propagation on 6m.  I could hear beacons but there was not
much live activity. There was some sporadic E propagation on Friday. Finally
found VE3ZF for the ON multiplier on 10.

15m was mostly sporadic E again. During the morning there was some good
openings to ON and QC. In the afternoon the path shifted to BC and AB. Very
rapid QSB evident on this band.

20m was pretty stable. Good steady rate all day Friday. Being a weekday, there
was very little DX. HG7T was loud but he could not hear my 100W on 40M.

As always, a fun low key contest and a great chance to get on the air and say
hi to our fellow Canadians and Neighbors to the south.

Time to do some antenna maintenance!

Ed VE4EAR