[3830] ARRL FD K3CCR(N3UM) 1D LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 6 16:03:21 EDT 2016

ARRL Field Day

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: 1D LP
QTH: MDC

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  252     0       0  Total Score = 890

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.

Plan for 2016 Field Day was for N3ADY, N3UM, and W3GB to operate
3E for many hours. But, a perfect storm of higher priorities
intervened: visiting family, minor illness, a friend's 100th
birthday party. In the end there was no time for an overdue oil
change and generator setup, and only N3UM was able to get on,
class 1D, for the last 3.4 hrs. till 18Z.

Running on CW at 2 pts/QSO on 40 and then 20 m. seemed like good
strategy, and it worked pretty well. Got 81 Qs in 1 hr 1435-1535 Z
and 74/hr for the 1.7 hr on 40, then 77/hr. for the 1.7 hr. on 20 m.
It's good to be fresh meat Sun!

States are not FD mults but the total worked says something about
propagation and how you got out.  I worked 44 of the 48 contiguous
states plus 6 VE provinces, missing only sparse- population NV, UT,
ND, and DE.

The big drawback of operating 1D was that 17% of the total Qs were
zero-point ones with other 1D stations, who either didn't know or
didn't care. Knowing does require 1Ds operating search & pounce to
copy an exchange before calling, slowing them down. And, I can't
know how many DID copy my 1D and didn't call.  Fun anyway.