[3830] IARU K5WA SOABMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 10 12:47:42 EDT 2016

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: STX

  160:    16     1      4        2
   80:   103     6     11       16
   40:   348    76     28       41
   20:   464   228     34       40
   15:   126     2     19       26
   10:     5     0      4        1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1062   313    100      126  Total Score = 923,210

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I guess we'd better get used to low sun spots bringing a contest to a halt from
south Texas.  The first 12 hours were brutal but as 0000 Sunday came around I
got a breath of fresh air when EU started coming up to make the middle of the
contest bearable even though storm QRN played a heavy role for the rest of the
contest.  Stateside signals were just booming after 0000 and I finally felt I
could hold a run frequency for a while.  W9RE stopped by for a SSB Q and was 45
over on 40 (I think it was) so I guessed we could end the contest on a
reasonable note.

I missed my goal of matching N5AW's SOABLP score from last year but my plan of
working S&P mults almost exclusively the first 12 hours seemed to be an OK
strategy to compete in LP with Marv.  Last year I went HP and ran most of the
time but my mult count was only 2/3 of N5AW's.  Learn from the best is my
motto.    I'm sure his score will be 15-20% higher than mine (as usual) this
year but I'm still learning this LP game.  I play tennis and I see a lot of
similarity between LP/HP and single/doubles in tennis.  They are similar games
but very different skills and strategy are required to do well.

Thanks to K5TU for helping me get the 3 element 40M quad running a couple of
weeks ago because it played well.  My 4 element KLM 40 beam at 160' (which is
being replaced soon) even played reasonably well considering it has some fatal
intermittent.  I was very pleased with the 160 and 80M 4 squares too as I
really needed low band directivity this weekend to null out storm QRN.

My best moment was before the contest when I got to try out my new KX2 on these
big antennas at the contest station.  Elecraft sure makes sweet products and I
look forward to travelling with this little gem of a rig.  The poor little KX2
thought it had died and gone to heaven being coupled to lots of gain and
directivity which it won't see again because it only gets a BuddiPole (at best)
on my business and vacation trips.

Thanks for the Qs and, as usual, it sure seemed like fun AFTER the contest is
over.  ;-)

73,
Bob K5WA