[3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 19 09:59:38 EDT 2016

North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, MA

Total:  337    97  Total Score = 32,689

Club:

Team: Baud Boyz

Comments:

When you're hot, you're hot (July NAQP)
When you're not, you're not (February NAQP)

It was very hot here and while I could take care of myself, I was concerned
about the computers and radio as the south facing shack is not air conditioned.
 On Friday an old desktop running ViewProp shut down twice due to overheating,
and its fans were whining at their highest speed plus an external fan was
trained on it.  That computer was off during the contest, but ViewProp did
raise some interesting questions I'll deal with elsewhere.

I have extra fans on my contest station to keep the air moving on the contest
computer, rig and me. Plus I shut down all extra processes and disconnected
from the Internet to reduce the CPU load. It was noisy and windy but things ran
cool.  As long as the turbo-boost works I can tell things are OK.

I usually run assisted, so it's odd to be unassisted.  The bandscope was a big
help and having a computer logger bandmap sure beats the paper ones I used long
ago.  I still have my old Excel bandmap template somewhere on my computer.  I
have trouble throwing anything away, even deleting obsolete files.

The SFI has been trending upward after a sunspot drought and conditions were
average for a summer contest.  There were lots of T-storms down south which
affected the southern members of our team.  I missed what 10m activity there
was, concentrating on 15m as much as I could.  80m was a disappointment, what
with my inefficient antenna and QRN all over.

I worked K3LR, the first time I've ever heard Tim's station on RTTY.  That was
a nice surprise and I hope to work them again in RTTY contests.  I'm sure
they'll really be 599.  And they can probably hear me.

Thanks for the QSOs and the rollicking good time,  See you in the February
contest.  Have a good summer and fall.

73,
Ken, AB1J

FT-2000  N1MM+  MMVARI-MMTTY-2Tone-GRITTY
Attic dipoles 20-10m  80-40m outdoor stealth wire with an indoor counterpoise