[3830] CQWW VHF N8II SOSB/6 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 21 14:33:27 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/6 HP
QTH: WV

Total:  101    46  Total Score = 4,646

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was having fun the night before the contest working OH(rare),MI,IN,IL,WI,MN,IA
on a good opening with a run of about 12 Q's plus many more running barefoot. I

decided to hook up the PW-1 amp which was quite easy (accepts input from 2
radios which I forgot it did). I was not on for long (had to start 3-1/2 hours
late) in the test when I noticed a signal drop out during QSO followed by sky
high SWR which was probably a short at the gamma match of 6M small 5 el yagi.
So for about 60% of my time on the air, my 6M antenna was worthless. I had a
choice of the 15 or 10M yagi both of which had less than 2:1 SWR, but lousy
performance, of course. Luckily, during most of the AM Es to AL,FL,LA,TX and
Central America, the 6M yagi behaved itself. I worked YN2N on SSB, but spent a
long time calling YS1AG to no avail. The YS was not sending his grid square; I
wonder how many logs will show a QSO with him with grid square magically
supplied?

This was NOT much fun! 100 Q's was quite a bit of work, lots of calling more
than once and few answers to CQ's even with HP which was probably around 500W.
It was nice to see old contest friends and it seems I almost always work W5PR,
WD5K, and K5QE along with some south Floridians in summer 6M tests and this
year was no exception. Thanks for the Q's. I hope to have a separate short
tower up next year with a decent yagi on top.

73, Jeff