[3830] IOTA PJ4DX SO(A)12SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 31 09:03:45 EDT 2016

IOTA Contest

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: SO(A)12SSB HP
QTH: SA-006

   80:                     7        6
   40:                    47       22
   20:                   790       74
   15:                   144       23
   10:                     0        0
Total:   0        0      988      125  Total Score = 637,000

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

This is still very much a Euro-centric contest. My score was boosted by working
numerous US stations who clearly did not know about IOTA but who were kind
enough to give me a QSO with serial number 001 or 002. Many US stations gave
"North America 001" as the IOTA reference and some seemed to give
completely random NA- references in addition to the serial number. For example
a station in upstate New York gave me NA-016 (which is Cayman Is) with great
conviction. When asked to confirm, he confirmed NA-016. I have not counted this
as a mult! Most US stations gave me their State: if they said New York and gave
a low serial number I asked if they were on Long Island. Just one station was,
giving me 15 points instead of 5 for that QSO! WP4MEK gave me serial number 557
yet didn't know his IOTA reference. I asked him to confirm 59557, which he did.
I have no idea where these numbers come from! IQ9UI gave me serial numbers
1731, 1732 and 1733 all during the course of a single QSO. I have logged 1733
but I can only guess which number he logged.

I was Assisted this year but found this frustrating as I could not break the
pile-up of European stations calling EU- multipliers. I saw numerous cases of
self-spotting on the Cluster.

Conditions were poor, I did not make a single QSO on 10m although I saw that EU
stations were working each other on 10m, presumably by Es which did not occur
here or, if it did, I missed the opening. 15m, 40m and 80m were also poor: once
again 20m was the only real 'run' band.

A few stations were operating outside the Contest-preferred segments, e.g.
above 14300kHz. I only called one, as it was a multiplier. Will this QSO count?
Will all the QSOs made by stations running outside the Contest-preferred
segments count?

Rig: Yaesu FT-2000, Acom 1500 amp at 1kW to Spiderbeam at 30ft for 10-15-20m, a
2-element phased vertical array for 40m and full-size quarter-wave vertical for
80m.

73 Steve PJ4DX.