[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TO SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 13 00:17:38 EDT 2016

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: EL87

    6:  866   156
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  866   156  Total Score = 135,096

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

First and foremost, thanks to Tac san, JA7QVI for hearing me for my first ever
JA QSO on 6M.  Han san, JE1BMJ gets much credit for his SSSP theory and
encouraging the many, many hours of on-the-air observations.  I find it amazing
that I've heard JA each of the 4 years on the band, yet never heard KH6.  6M
guys shrug that off as normal, but this HF guy finds it intriguing.

Second, I went into this with great trepidation knowing that use of spotting
assistance and self-spotting was allowed for everyone.  It turned out that the
spot of JA7QVI was extremely useful and the self-spotting hasn't really caught
on yet to the point of overwhelming the spotting networks.  My station is about
as backward as you can get, with a 30-year old radio that doesn't even have VOX,
a logging computer that doesn't have Internet access and a stand-alone laptop
that was used for spotting and manually posting spots.

Conditions were amazingly different for all of us.  I watched in awe as the W1s
seemed to have a contest-long opening to somewhere.  EA8DBM's Skimmer made an
incredible number of USA spots and he worked stations out to the West Coast.
Yet here in FL, I never heard him once, nor even one European.

The first day ended with just 138 QSOs in the log, but that was actually
encouraging as it was just 46 two years ago.  Sunday was a little slow to fully
open, but the opening to the northeast lasted for more hours than I've ever
heard.  There is a deep pool of VE2/3/W1/2/3/8/9/northern 4s/eastern 0s to work
from here.  Double hop Es QSOs were limited to a VO1 this morning before a dozen
or so stations in the DM/DN grids were worked this evening.

My 3rd ever June VHF Test.  Started on 6M in June, 2013 and made less than 200
QSOs that June, then 700+ in 2014 before having to skip 2015.  Hope they
continue to get better!

I have zero interest in any bands above 6M, so as usual this entry is in an
artificial category.  Any interest out there in pursuing a 6M single-band
category?

The expanded activity is remarkable on June VHF weekend.  Thanks to all for the
QSOs, particularly the rovers who make the effort to get out there in multiple
grids.  I as pleasantly surprised to find the rates on CW often rivaled those
on SSB, yielding opportunities to hop between modes.

vy 73, Dan

IC-575H 100W
6M7JHV (7L) @ 55'