[3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 13 11:32:55 EDT 2016

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: EMA

    6:  24     17
    2:   4      3
  222:
  432:   3      2
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  31     22  Total Score = 748

Portable QRP operation on Sunday from Holt Hill in Andover, Mass. Elevation
420'.

Weather was mostly cloudy and windy with periods of sun and brief showers, and
temps of 70F falling to 58F.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND @ 5 Watts
- 1/2 wavelength 6m aluminum dipole, homemade
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna

Good weather for a hike and a picnic outdoors, but chilly and windy, and
sometimes wet. Enjoyed a picnic on the hilltop with the YL while I operated and
she read her books.

Equipment operated well and as designed. The only minor problem was a loosening
PL259 connector on the antenna end of the 6m cable. I needed to hand-tighten it
a couple times and I think it cost me a grid. A new 12V 9Ah sealed gel battery
worked well, supplying enough power for the whole contest without dropping.

The Enhancement: Sunday was outstanding with good 6m exchanges with FL, GA, and
SC areas. DX lasted all day. Also had good local contacts with regulars, but
most effort spent on DX.

Station Photos: http://shawsheen.com/2016/arrljunevhf/

73, Alexander N1PRW