[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 13 16:27:58 EDT 2016

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT

  903:   11     8
  1.2:   17    10
  2.3:    5     3
  3.4:    4     3
  5.7:    2     2
  10G:    3     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  429   183  Total Score = 111,630

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

In last year's June contest 3830 report I noted that I wouldn't be around this
year for the contest and therefore ops should expect great band condx. I knew
that I would be up in NH for my son's graduation from college. Seems like I was
right and that the ops in many spots and perhaps especially New England were in
for some great 6M condx. Sorry I missed most of the fun but glad so many had
good results.

I got home early Sunday evening and operated most of the last 5.5 hours of the
contest. 6M was pretty good with short sessions of good openings at times and
weak ones at others but was pretty much open all the time. 2M and up condx were
definitely well below normal. When we left NH it was 58 degrees and very windy.
The temperature rose steadily on the way home to the upper 70's in CT. What was
unusual for this time of year was the strong, steady winds, usually a pretty
good indicator of poor tropo condx. My yard this morning looks like early fall
with fallen leaves everywhere.

I will say that it was very busy during my time on the air. It was hard to know
where to go - stay on 6 or work a lot of easy Q's/grids on the other 9 bands. I
didn't have any experience getting on so late in a contest and I'm not sure how
well I optimized the effort. I wanted to give out points to those who were
putting in full efforts. Also to have fun and enjoy 6M since the last few June
contests have had little or no E skip. I did manage to miss an amazing amount
of easy grids on the bands perhaps because I was running around so fast I
wasn't checking the grid map for what I had and hadn't worked. Not sure how I
forgot to work W3CCX for FN21 on 222 and 432 after working them on all the
microwave bands through 10ghz. Or not to work FN20 above 432 etc etc.

Anyway, hopefully I will be back next June and the bands will cooperate when
I'm around!

73 and Cu in the CQWW and UHF tests.

Jeff K1TEO