[3830] ARRL June VHF K3CCR(N3UM) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 16 11:45:39 EDT 2016

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

  432:   11     5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  102    49  Total Score = 5,537

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. For the
June VHF test only I (N3UM) was available so I went SOLP. No 6 m.
E skip in the first 3 hr. Pace was slow and chatty, with only
fair LOS activity 6 thru 0.7 m. and few grids. At 2330 Z after a
supper break I heard strong VO1s and VE1s in GN29, GN37, and FN85
on 6 but could not work any. I blamed the 40-m. inverted V we use
on 6 until I saw that local big guns couldn't raise them either!
Those VO1s had much better propagation to the midwest than to W3.
I finally got 3 skip Qs on CW in EN 57, 58, and 74 0220-0225 Z
just before quitting to sleep. Sun. 14 Z and after there were
lots of loud Es signals, but now most were workable. In the end
67 of my 102 total Qs were on 6 m, and 30 of my 49 total grids
were 6 m. Es. CW activity was great on 6: I got 37 of my 67 6-m.
Qs and 18 of my 34 6-m. grids on CW. My last Es Q was at 0121 Z.
I used our new K3S on 6.  The P3 band scope was great for finding
new Qs given the searchlight/"whack-a-mole" varying E skip.