[3830] TBDC VE3CV Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 19 06:52:16 EDT 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Varna

Total:  QSOs = 58  Total Score = 217

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

During contest we had SF-A-K of 84-8-2.  Conditions couldn't be better here
because we were under a warm high pressure zone with absolutely no wind.  This
means that the #$%#@!!! wind towers were not turning so my noise floor was
mostly zero.  (Goes up to 1-2 with tower noise!).  Best DX was the amazing
station at CW5W...a 27 pointer!  Thanks to Herb KV4FZ for pulling me out and it
was great to be called by KH6ZM while running at 0930Z.  But no 6 or 7's on the
west coast were heard.

My only RX antenna still "standing" for the summer was my 200ft.
west-facing (270deg) BOG, which worked great for most directions, most times
without the preamp on...nice and quiet and easy on the ears.  Went to the TX
antenna  (80m doublet at 50ft used as top loaded vertical with 11 radials)to
pull out a few on the East coast.  Amazed how my TX antenna gets out with
100W...Uruguay!  K9TF had a great QRP signal, so at least I have one in the
log.

Thanks to BORING for running the Summer Stew.  I hadn't been on the air much
since April!  You could tell if you listened to me struggle to send with the
Bencher!  Need to nail it down.....  N1MM worked great.

Lots of fun as usual.  Thanks for the Q's.  Will be better conditions next
year.
73
Jeff
VE3CV