[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 19 13:44:15 EDT 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio

Total:  QSOs = 119  Total Score = 241

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This year I probably should have operated high power.  Normally low
power prevents alligator syndrome, but this year I could hear a lot
better than I could be heard.  I heard lots of DX: CX, EI, F, (2) G,
(2) KH6, KV4, and LU.  Of all that I only worked CW5W and KV4FZ.

I heard a couple of CN87 stations work K7CA who was my only DM grid
contact.  All the other QSOs were in the EN-EM-FN-FM block except the
2 DX contacts.

I was sorely tempted to use the amplifier to make some of the more
distant QSOs.  If I switched power categories during the contest
however, everyone that had to suffer my low power signal would be
denied the multiplier.  Maybe we can kick around the idea of a
"variable power" category to handle this situation.  It would be
nice
if the logging programs could log the power used for each contact.

Possibly the relatively quiet conditions encouraged more activity as
this year I had almost 50% more QSOs than the previous best Summer
Stew.  Some raw data:

        raw     raw    points
year   QSOs    score  per QSO
2011	 86     223     2.59
2012	 81     224     2.77
2013	 72     141     1.95
2014	 77     142     1.84
2015	 64     136     2.13
2016    119     241     2.03

The K3 has developed a weird new problem: if I hit the escape key
interrupt a canned message, sometime the radio displays "KEY ERR"
and
locks the transmitter on.  I have to initiate and immediately cancel
another message to escape the lock-up, but then the radio is listening
to the wrong frequency.  A third transmission seems to restore sanity.
A couple of stations will have to excuse my weird behavior while I
learned to cope with this issue.

I noticed this issue in a couple of the previous 160 contests but that
was while I was trying to operate SO2R.  Also the problem did not
occur during the ARRL DX test.  Now the problem does occur during a DX
contest.  (I was making QSOs in the All Asian contest from time to
time.)

The surprise not-a-multiplier was when CW5W called me after I tried
calling him several times without success.

Equipment: K3, P3, 2x4 phased array of short lossy verticals and SDR
receiving system and a second 2x3 array of the same.  Computer
controlled audio routing apparatus to feed each SDR output to a
distinct ear.  Transmitted on a 65 foot "Tee" antenna with somewhat
less than 75 radials 125 feet long fed through 800 feet of 3/4 inch
cable-TV hardline lying on the ground.  It is getting to be time to
revamp the radial system.