[3830] All Asian CW W7RM(K2PO) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 19 23:49:58 EDT 2016

All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: W7RM
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K7ZS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 23:33

  160:    1     1
   80:  116    47
   40:  309   110
   20:  387   134
   15:   47    26
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  860   318  Total Score = 308,142

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

My prop pitch rotator is off being repaired, so Willamette Valley DX Club member
Kevin, K7ZS, invited me to use his station this weekend.  I brought my K3, to
pair with his K3, in an impromptu SO2R setup.  I learned a thing or two about
Alpha amplifiers.  (Fortunately, they survived my abuse.)

Back home, my now-stationary antennas are pointed to the South Pacific.  I
hooked up a Red Pitaya-based skimmer (thanks W2NAF), and it found lots to
report.  K2PO-# appears to have logged more spots this weekend than any other
U.S. skimmer (most of them Asian spots).  I expect most U.S. stations that
operated assisted got some spots from Oregon this weekend.

I usually operate low power.  I learned that operating high power attracts a
crowd of "50w + vertical antenna" stations that don't usually find
their way into my log.  (That's both a blessing and a curse…)

Conditions on the high bands were pathetic.  Echoing K5WA's comment, I had more
than twice as many QSOs on 80m than 15m(!).

It was fun to use the widely-recognized W7RM callsign (see QRZ.com for more),
but at times I seemed to be following W7RN in working spots �" 'doubtless
causing some double-takes from the surprised Asian ops.

'Great to hear some old-time JP ops still pounding brass…

Tnx to all for the QSOs, and to Kevin for use of the station!

73,

/Bill, K2PO
Oregon

Antennas: 4 element Steppir, 2 element 40m Moxon, sloper on 80m, inverted-L on
160m