[3830] ARRL FD N8HM 1B LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 26 14:41:01 EDT 2016

ARRL Field Day

Call: N8HM
Operator(s): N8HM
Station: N8HM

Class: 1B LP
QTH: Washington, DC

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0      58      0  Total Score = 266

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

All QSOs made via satellite. Score under ARRL Field Day rules is 266 (58 phone
QSOs x 2 power multiplier + 100 satellite bonus points + 50 web submission
bonus points).

Score under AMSAT Field Day rules is 83 points for 83 valid phone QSOs.

Breakdown by satellite:

AO-7B - 2 QSOs
AO-73 - 10 QSOs, 1 dupe
AO-85 - 1 QSO, 5 excess FM QSOs
FO-29 - 37 QSOs, 4 dupes
LilacSat-2 - 1 QSO, 1 excess FM QSO
SO-50 - 1 QSO
Ukube-1 - 6 QSOs
XW-2A - 11 QSOs
XW-2C - 6 QSOs, 2 dupes
XW-2F - 8 QSOs, 1 dupe

Total - 83 valid phone QSOs, 8 dupes, 6 excess FM QSOs
ARRL total - 58 phone QSOs, 39 dupes/excess FM QSOs

Equipment:
2 x Yaesu FT-817 (with 3000 mAh internal LiPo batteries)
Microset VUR-30 Dual Band Amplifier
5100 mAh LiPo battery
High Sierra Microwave LNAA432 preamplifier
High Sierra Microwave LNAA146FIL filtered 2m preamp
Arrow II 146/437-10 Dual Band Handheld Yagi

All equipment was operated from the courtyard/parking lot of my apartment
building in Southwest Washington DC, carried around my shoulders in a camera
bag. The antenna was handheld.

Unfortunately, Field Day on the satellites can be somewhat difficult and
frustrating due to excess power use and inexperienced operators with inadequate
stations. About 2/3 of the voices heard during the 24 hours of Field Day, I do
not hear on a daily basis on the satellites. Please practice regularly and
ensure that your Field Day satellite stations (especially the receive setup)
are adequate for the task.

That being said, it is a lot of fun to hear the transponders sounding like 20
meters!