[3830] ARRL FD N1CC 2E QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 26 18:05:00 EDT 2016

ARRL Field Day

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: 2E QRP
QTH: NTX

  160:
   80:    6      1
   40:   26      5
   20:   80     20
   15:   32      2
   10:    1      2
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  145     30      0  Total Score = 1,620

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

80-40:  FT-450D, 5 Watts, 80/40 Fan Dipole (N-S) 45 Ah Deep Cycle Battery
20-15-20: K3/100 @ 5 Watts, F12 C3 $ 64; 55 Ah Deep Cycler Batter, MFC 4416b
booster for DC voltage.

Quiet but poor conditions ruled the weekend.  Original plans were to stay at
Caddo Mounds SHP at the TR20 El Camino Real de los Tejas NHT but as soon as the
FD started there was nowhere to find a place to do 5W FD with a 18' vertical;
coupled with 105+ "feels like" weather and incoming TS we decided to
not stay, and to go home to the A/C and run the radios off of the batteries in
2E class.

If I have anything to suggest, it is that Clubs and Station Sponsors need to
teach their operators courtesy and how to not adjust the transmitters for
maximum smoke.  Lots of terrible broad signals, chirps, clicks an certain
amount of inappropriate behaviors were exhibited.  One instance that I
overheard, rich in profanity, prompted me to suggest to the HQ Committee that
both stations in the particular head-to-toe on-the-air demonstration of how NOT
to be a good operator should be disqualified.

Field Day is, after all, about putting a good face on emergency operations and
teaching us all how to behave and conduct our community support.  One of the
offending stations Call is a well-known contester, the other less-known but
never heard spewing profanity before.  That could be "guest"
operators at both stations, that is no excuse fro the trustee of the calls to
not pay attention to lousy operating behaviors.

See you next FD - maybe out in the woods if it isn't so darn hot!  73, Jim