[3830] ARRL FD W3PP(AA1K) 1C QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 27 07:43:53 EDT 2016

ARRL Field Day

Call: W3PP
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: 1C QRP
QTH: Delaware

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  359     0       0  Total Score = 3,740

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Operated again from our 27-foot O'Day 272LE sailboat but at a new location, this
time in Rehoboth Bay off Long Neck, Delaware (21 miles south of previous years
at Slaughter Beach on Delaware Bay).

Used a pair of Elecraft K3 transceivers running at 5 watts, each on a separate
deep-cycle battery independent of the boat system. A telescoping fiberglass
mast on the stern held a 1/4 wave vertical wire for 40 meters, which also did
service on 15 and 10 meters. A 1/4 wave vertical near the bow was the 20-meter
antenna. For 80 meters, I fed the feedline of the 20-meter vertical as a random
wire using the tuner in the K3 (after making a couple of QSOs on the 20 meter
vertical itself).

Started 3 hours late. Antennas that worked on previous outings suddenly didn't
and needed debugging. Quit just before 2 p.m. Sunday.

Plans to use N1MM+ for logging failed due to laptop power problems (wrong 12v
adapter!) so used Hamlog again on an Android tablet with a Belkin Bluetooth
keyboard, so no radio control. When the tablet battery started to die Sunday
morning, a small solar panel kept it alive through the end of the contest.

Never worked anyone in my own state.