[3830] ARRL FD KK3TN 1A LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 27 12:52:22 EDT 2016

ARRL Field Day

Call: KK3TN
Operator(s): K3TN K3YDX WA3SEE WA3WHE
Station: KK3TN

Class: 1A LP
QTH: MDC

   40:   73     45
   20:   31      9
   15:
   10:    1      1
    6:    3      6
    2:           3
  222:
  432:           3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  108     67      0  Total Score = 1,316

Club: Patapsco Valley Outdoor Society

Comments:

Ops: K3TN K3YDX WA3SEE WA3WHE

The Patapsco Valley Outdoor Society set up WA3SEE's TS 590 and mini-G5RV,
K3YDX's VHF/UHF rover assembly and WA3WHE's mini-satellite station for an
afternoon of emergency preparedness and every now and then a QSO. The location
was the Glenn Artney area of Patapsco Valley State Park near Ellicott City,
MD.

As usual, 6M barely opened and the high trees on the site made the satellite
station useless - I think the last time we actually made a satellite QSO was
back in the early 1990s.

We had batteries and inverters die, but backups were in place quickly. MDC
Section Manager KB3MXM stopped by and we passed muster and got a nice ARRL pin
out of the deal.

As usual, we had more bonus points than QSO points - our QSO total actually
went down compared to 2014 when we had *fewer operating hours.* Much of that
was due to WA3SEE's quest for the perfect QSO, vs. just working any old FD
station that might be in the receiver passband.

The site had to be vacated by sunset, so a fine dinner of steak kabobs, corn on
the cob, salad and chocolate cookies (all supplied by K3TN's XYL Carole) gave us
the energy to tear everything down, knowing once again that if that if all
commercial communications were made totally inoperable, we would be able to
communicate anywhere in the world and reliably communicate "1A MDC."